Highlighting the curious, the obscure and the best of Columbus Blue Jackets NHL memorabilia

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Inaugural season signed team poster

Check out this beauty from reader Steven:


Here's his tale: 
I remember hearing the news that my hometown had been granted an NHL expansion franchise. Being a Red Wings fan at the time (which I have thankfully denounced long ago), it was bliss to hear I only had to drive 15 minutes to see NHL hockey. The team began its existence during my senior year of high school. I was fortunate enough to become an usher at Nationwide Arena and get paid to watch my new beloved team...something I'm sure no hockey fan would turn down. 

Anyway, on to the poster. The posters were given away at the last home game of the inaugural season in April 2001. I was lucky enough to snag a couple and give them to a couple friends. The following summer, a family friend had one mounted and framed as a graduation gift. When the next season began, I frequented CBJ practices with my best friend. We received quite a few pictures and autographs. The poster is signed, from left to right by: #6 Jamie Heward; #31 Ron Tugnutt; #14 Ray Whitney; #4 Lyle Odelein; #34 Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre; Former Head Coach Dave King; Doug MacLean; #28 Tyler Wright; Gerard Gallant; #27 Blake Sloan; #9 David Vyborny; #5 Jamie Pushor; #21 Espen Knutsen; #30 Marc Denis; and Jim Clark, Asst. General Manager. 
A funny story about why Jim Clark signed the poster: I was at a practice and saw Dougie Mac sitting in the Ice Haus stands. I walked up to him and asked if he would sign the poster. Once he was finished, he gruffly mumbled that Jim Clark was sitting next to him. I handed the poster over to Clark and now I have his autograph for posterity. 
In closing, I saw your post asking for items signed by former players and thought this was perfect. It's not signed by everyone, but all the players and coaches are gone. In fact, the only people still in the organization today are the equipment managers, Dan Singleton and Chris MacFarland. Seemed like it fit the bill.
Did it fit the bill? I'd say so. Great poster!

1 comment:

  1. And a retro Bank One logo to boot! That's a pretty sweet piece of memorabilia right there...

    ReplyDelete