Highlighting the curious, the obscure and the best of Columbus Blue Jackets NHL memorabilia

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The "Brassacek" jersey

On the eve of the Columbus Blue Jackets 2011-2012 opener, reader (and Dark Blue Jacket contributor) Gallos offers this one-of-a-kind entry in the Pucks 'n' Stuff sweepstakes:

This is my 'Brassacek' jersey...made immortal in this Puck Daddy post.
I had long pondered a CBJ sweater, but wasn't sure what to do. The co-incident arrival of Sergei Federov and the original third jersey seemed like a match made in heaven. I always new Sergei would move along, but at least I'd have the sweater of a hall of famer. 
Following the trade of Federov for Teddy Ruth, it just didn't seem right wearing it. The following August I just couldn't see wearing it. So I dreamed up the Brassacek name plate, and my talented spouse made the whole thing happen. The notion of using the 9 and the 1 on the Federov sweater as the 9 of 92 and the 1 of 16 was her idea. And so it was born. Amusingly, about two months later I saw a post on Puck Daddy called 'Jersey Fouls'. I can remember thinking, 'this can't be a good thing'. 
And, on the other hand being compared to Sasquatch, and then called hideous in the same breath is just the price of fame. So, I burned 30 seconds of my 15 minutes of fame there. 
So there you have it. I wore this bad boy to Cannonfest 2 as its final showing. I will convert it back into a Federov jersey forever, now that Jake is gone. 
So there is my story.
Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment